Friday 1 July 2011

Victory

Victory for Moffat CAN in the People's Jubilee Lottery competition was the great news in my inbox this morning. This is a terrific boost to the whole town, and reflects great credit on all concerned. I expressed my delight by doing some cooking, putting together a beetroot salad with wilted spinach and toasted pinenuts, preparing some new season's turnips to reheat with streaky bacon (a winning combination, with parsley), baking a potato and a packet of hamburger patties in the oven and cooking some courgettes. All this food preparation is not because I am expecting a siege, but with fine weather forecast, and a busy day out and about tomorrow I hope not to spend another minute in the kitchen. I also bought some particularly juicy- looking cherries from the market stall; had I not got so much in the larder already, I could have bought far more: broad beans, celery, lettuce, nectarines all looked mouth-wateringly delicious. Zac came over to watch a Ben 10 DVD and lost it down the back of a radiator, but did not seem too concerned. I put out a little tasting plate with some cubes of beetroot, squares of hamburger, toasted pine nuts and sliced apple for him to try. He looked carefully at the beetroot, which I explained tastes quite sweet ('like jam?' he asked), and sniffed the pinenuts closely but opted only for the sliced apple. I will finish this now because I am watching an exciting men's semi-final at Wimbledon between Tsonga and Djokovic. Life isn't only about books.

No comments:

Post a Comment