Friday 23 September 2011

More recipes from The Frugal Cook

Yesterday, I made kedgeree. Cooking time 10 minutes. Equipment - frying pan with lid or dinner plate to cover.
Ingredients:
  • 1 small fillet smoked haddock
  • Semi-skimmed milk
  • 5 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 pack Uncle Ben's pilau rice
  • Freshly ground black pepper
I placed the fillet of smoked haddock in a frying pan and added milk with a little water to cover and simmered for a few minutes to cook (with a lid on). Then I added the pack of Uncle Ben's pilau rice and continued to simmer for 3 minutes. I had 5 hard boiled eggs* in the fridge, which I peeled and sliced. I turned off the heat, placed the slices of hard boiled egg on the top of the fish and rice, spooned a little of the cooking liquid over them and put a lid over.

There was far too much for one person, so after I had had what I needed for supper (lots of freshly ground black pepper because it was tasty but quite bland), I put the remainder into a plastic box in the fridge. Today, I plan to fry an onion, sliced, and some mushrooms with grated nutmeg which I will add to the kedgeree mixture for Meal Two.

*I had a pack of six fresh eggs that I hard boiled before I went down to Kent last week to visit my mother aged 94. One of the eggs went on the train with me for my picnic: a roll cut in half and spread with mayo, garnished with sliced tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment